Cystocele repair, also known as anterior colporrhaphy, fixes the hernia present in the wall between the vagina and the bladder. This restorative surgical process can relax a woman’s chronic uneasiness in her bulging vagina. It also helps them eliminate the challenges they face in emptying the bladder.
Cystocele Repair: What Is It Exactly?
Cystocele repair is the surgical procedure of uplifting and tightening the bladder’s plunged (prolapsed) tissue to restrict it from falling back against the vaginal wall.
Cystocele, also known as prolapsed bladder, is a medical condition found in females whose bladder reclines towards the vagina. There may be stretching or weakening of the tissues that hold the pelvic organs of the body together. Thus, it results in sagging.
Recovery Period For a Cystocele Repair
Typically, it takes about 4-6 weeks for a woman to recover after a cystocele repair. They can go back to their day-to-day activities, including sexual intercourse, which is about four weeks after the completion of the procedure.
The signs and symptoms of having cystocele vanish when the repair procedure is done. Nevertheless, a few symptoms, like lack of self-control or stress, may still persist. You may undergo a separate surgical procedure to get rid of those. Once the surgery is done, the catheter stays inside the patient’s body for about one or two days.
The patient may be asked to undergo a diet including all liquid food until she can perform the bowel function normally. The patient (woman) will also be asked to avoid things that may strain or pressure her surgical area of the body for a couple of weeks. They may be asked to avoid these:
- Sexual intercourse
- Straining bowel movements
- Prolonged hours of standing
Complications of Undergoing a Cystocele Repair Procedure:
- Painful intercourse
- Repeated prolapse
- Injured pelvic organs and more
Why Undergo Cystocele Repair Treatment?
The surgical procedure comes with numerous benefits. If you’re experiencing bladder leakage and pain, this surgery will provide the utmost comfort and relief. The best surgeons will execute a cystocele repair surgery with the utmost professionalism, expertise, accuracy, and precision.
This surgical procedure involves minimal risk and the following:
- No abdominal incision. Instead, the surgeon will use a small vaginal incision
- You won’t have to stay at the hospital as it’s a same-day surgery
- Faster recovery time as you can get back to your everyday life within two or three weeks
Cystocele Repair: What To Expect Before & During The Surgery
- Tell all about your current medical condition to the surgeon.
- Try eating light meals the day before the surgery.
- The doctor may give you an enema the night before the surgery.
- Avoid eating anything once midnight occurs before the surgery day.
- The surgeon may give you some antibiotics before the surgical procedure.
- The surgeon will empty your bladder by inserting a catheter into your urethra.
- The surgeon will perform a small incision over the vagina to disclose the involved tissue and muscle.
- Once the surgeon determines the tissues and the muscle, the surgeon will either put stitches on the tissues and the muscles or strengthen the tissues using a mesh-type material.
- If any tissue has been weakened previously during surgery due to ageing or pregnancy, the surgeon will eradicate it.
- It can take a maximum of two hours for the procedure to complete.
With this comprehensive guide, you should properly understand what cystocele repair is, and the time it takes to recoup from this surgical procedure.
Read More Blogs: